Thursday, November 12, 2020

Different Kinds of Art - 12 November 2020 - Plague Journal Day 245

Micah 6:8
Exodus 35:30-35
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today marks the 180th "birthday" of French sculptor, Auguste Rodin, perhaps most noted for his statue, The Thinker.

  

Of course the Burghers of Calais outside Parliament in London is pretty famous as well.

Well, it's November (as if you didn't know that), and that means it's NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month for the uninitiated). Frustratingly, you can't tell it's NaNoWriMo by my output.

Sculpting and Writing are rather different artistic pursuits. Sculptors work to take away everything that isn't what they're sculpting. Writers stare at empty pages, trying to fill them up with everything they're trying to create. I suppose editing is more like sculpting, but I don't think there are many sculptors who create their own blocks of marble to carve. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair, but then, what is? As Matisse said, "Don't wait for inspiration. It comes while one is working." Somehow this pandemicized, locked-down, isolation-riddled year is wreaking havoc with my writing.

I did manage to get a non-fiction book out - ironically it's on how to make a writing habit - but the novel I started a few years ago is languishing in various folders, notebooks, and digital files.

"Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story...."

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.


No comments: