Friday, October 02, 2020

02 October 2020 - Plague Journal Day 203 - Vegage du Jour

Micah 6:8
Romans 14:1-3
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Yesterday was World Vegetarian Day. I don't know how I could have missed that. If I were ever to become a vegetarian, it wouldn't be because I loved animals too much to eat them; it would be because I hated plants so much that I wanted to consume them all.

Still, we had a friend over for dinner, and what I made actually fit in quite nicely with that celebration. 

We had my take on ratatouille - mostly fresh produce from our garden (zucchini, eggplant, yellow squash, tomatoes) with some carrots, onions, and mushrooms. In a deep cast iron skillet I slightly caramelized the carrots and onions, then added the sliced zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant, sautéing until there was just a touch of color on all the vegetables. Then, in went the cherry tomatoes, a touch of salt, and some Herbes de Provence. A couple ounces of sweet vermouth and a bit of crushed tomatoes, just to juice it up a bit was all that was needed before dropping it in a 375F oven for 25 minutes. (Of course, that's not all that I did - I actually added some browned ground beef to the pot as I stirred it all up before putting it in the oven.) At that point I pulled it out, stirred it up again (just because), and covered it with a light layer of shredded Parmesan cheese, then under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese.

It was delicious. Highly recommended.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: