Thursday, August 06, 2020

06 August 2020 - Plague Journal Day 146

Micah 6:8
Genesis 37:9
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is National Root Beer Float Day. (I seem to remember that we called them Black Cows when I was a kid, but that may have been a Coke float (that's actual Coca-Cola to my Southern readers, not just any form of coke, soda, or (correctly) pop.), Can anyone confirm or correct me here? Thanks.)

As good as a root beer float is, I have to opine that a Boston Cooler is better. After all, what could be better than a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream floating in a tall glass of Vernor's Ginger Ale? Not much in a glass, anyway.
I have heard some opinions to the contrary recently, but my understanding is that the name of the Boston Cooler came from the Boston Edison neighborhood of Detroit, not from Beantown proper (as it were). It certainly makes more sense than any other explanation that I've heard. (I really find it hard to believe that it was named after Werner von Braun's liking for it after visiting Detroit and then returning to Cambridge, MA (which as far as Detroit is concerned is basically Boston). No matter how much he liked that gingery pop, I can't believe our float is named for his very temporary pseudo-hometowm.
See - even McDonald's knows what it is and how to make it!

So, hoist a root beer float to celebrate, and go the day one better with a Boston Cooler if you dare!
Enjoy!

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: