Saturday, August 01, 2020

01 August 2020 - Plague Journal Day 142

Micah 6:8
Song of Solomon 5:1
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is Mead Day. Yes, a day to celebrate that wine made from honey, rather than fruit. Clearly vegans would not be on board with this celebration, but I'm not a vegan, so I'm happy to join in.

I prefer my mead simple, and I like it hot as well. For a good, simple, non-spiced mead, I recommend Camelot Mead from the Oliver Winery in Indiana. It's sweeter than I normally like wine, but especially when it's been heated it's great. It's also a nice accompaniment to pork (and a good braising or deglazing liquid for that pork in your pan).


I will warn you all against trying to make your own mead in the basement of your college townhouse using the "recipe" and "instructions" found in the Amateur Scientist column of Scientific American magazine from sometime in the 1979-1981 era. It was an abject failure, and was one of the two worst things I've ever put in my mouth.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: