Wednesday, July 29, 2020

29 July 2020 - Plague Journal Day 139 - RIP Charles Greenwell

Micah 6:8
Romans 12:14-18
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

We have (at least temporarily) lost a really fine man, a wonderful musician, and a good friend. Charles Greenwell has moved on to the other side, having succumbed to the ravages of cancer.

Long before I actually knew him, I was a fan - listening to him every day on WQRS in his midday shift where he educated me so much about classical music. On a station tour (probably back in 1982), we trouped through his studio while music was playing - that was the first time I met him, and my friend commented to me that it was for me what meeting Arthur Penhallow would have been to him, and I think he was right. Charles was the voice of classical musical knowledge to me then - and has remained so to this day.
It wasn't many years later that Charles and I became personally acquainted, as his wife, Patti, became the music director at our church, and Charles was brought along for the ride. Through the years, he went from the occasional narrator for programs at church to a regular member of the choir and the bell choir. He became part of our church family, not just our musical family, and not even just a friend - he was my brother, and I will miss him terribly. (I already do.)

As another friend paraphrased the other day, if there's a classical music Heaven, you know they've got a hell of a conductor. Amen.


Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: