Tuesday, July 21, 2020

21 July 2020 - Plague Journal Day 131

Micah 6:8
1 Samuel 8:19-22
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Roger Miller was a really good songwriter. His lyrics are clever when that's what he was after, and very deep and moving when that was appropriate. I remember seeing him on the Tonight Show (with Johnny Carson - this was a long time ago indeed!) where he was talking about his life in general. He told Johnny that, having started life as a poor nobody, "I always wanted to grow up to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific." Well, in his honor, today is https://www.checkiday.com/cd12f64da72a80bb5d9e7c3e2a4c6cd0/national-be-someone-day. (full disclosure - it's nothing to do with Roger Miller, nor that quote)

In international news, today is Independence Day in Belgium! Leopold I was elected the first King of the Belgians, and swore allegiance to the constitution on 21 July 1831 after independence from the Netherlands had been asserted in October of 1830. Yes, Belgium is a much younger country than these United States of America, despite there being Belgians there (brewing beer and making cheese) for centuries before we were founded.
An interesting bit of information I came across the other day is that the Fir Bolg (or Firbolg or a variety of other spellings) of Irish legend may have either been, been descended from, or possibly just been named after the Belgae of Julius Caesar fame. I wonder if Asterix knew any of them.
Now you know.



Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
lb Si

No comments: