Thursday, July 09, 2020

09 July 2020 - Plague Journal Day 119

Micah 6:8
Psalm 50:7-15
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

What's that? You want another carnage du jour? Alright, then; how about beef tenderloin?
If you've followed my blog for more than just this plague time, you'll know that I oft wax poetic about the versatility of pork tenderloin. You probably also remember that I'm not-quite-equally enamored with it's bovine cousin - the beef tenderloin.
So, let's to it:
Take a beef tenderloin of about 5lb (they seem to run from 4.5 to ~6lb in my experience) that's been tied as a roast. That just means the thin tail-looking end has been rolled back on itself and tied with butcher's twine so it's all about the same thickness for the full length of the tenderloin.
Now, rub the beef with a liberal amount of salt, dry mustard, and dried thyme. Be sure you get it on all sides - and don't forget the ends, nobody likes one-sided tasting food, right, Emeril?
Now, roast it at 450F till done - that's around 45 minutes to an hour for a 4-6lb tenderloin.
If you can, this works at least as well on the grill as in the oven. I've used an old oven thermometer to check the temperature in my Weber grill - it's not that hard to regulate it a bit using the vents - and the added crust and grill flavor is worth the extra attention that's required.
In the past year or so, I've also taken to putting a little tray of wood chips in my grill to add a bit of smokiness to the result. I think the last one was done with a bit of mesquite.

You know (maybe you didn't), today is Fashion Day, so why not make a beef tenderloin and dress for dinner tonight? A nice Pinot Noir or perhaps a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo would round out the meal quite nicely I should think.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: