Friday, July 03, 2020

03 July 2020 - Plague Journal Day 113

Micah 6:8
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is Stay Out Of The Sun Day - pretty much my whole Summer compressed into one day.
I remember two sunburns very distinctly.
The first one was when I was a kid, probably ten or eleven, and we were up at my grandparents' cottage on Rifle Lake. I was out in the sun all day, in and out of the water, and ended up with a terrible burn on my back that was exacerbated by the application of Solarcaine. This eventually led to a visit to the local ER for medical relief.
The second was not quite as intense, but in its own way it was equally disturbing. This one was not quite as long ago as the first, but long enough that we were holding a paper drive as a fundraiser for the church youth group. (Yes, people not only used to actually subscribe to printed newspapers, but that paper was worth enough to recyclers that groups could make money by collecting truckloads of old papers and selling it to them.) Anyway, that sunny early Summer Saturday was the day I discovered my hair was thinning - a discovery made by scratching my head as I experienced my first major scalp sunburn. It was then that I became a big fan of hats.
Please, use sunscreen.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: