Monday, November 01, 2021

Saints and Ain'ts - 01 November 2021 - Plague Journal Day 599

Micah 6:8
1 Corinthians 16:13-16
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is All Saints Day - a day to remember and celebrate the lives of the saints who've gone before us. (Remember, it is today's celebration that gave yesterday its name - Hallowe'en is simply a contraction of All Hallows Evening, the day before All Saints (Hallows) Day.) It seems this day doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. After all, if we aren't willing to celebrate those who built up the church, why do we bother to be a part of the church?


One of those saints to be celebrated would be my mother. Mom was involved in many of the ministries of our congregation and supported many others with money and prayers. Interestingly, today is also National Deep Fried Clams Day. Mom was a big fan of those tasty little morsels - until one time at a Howard Johnson's somewhere on the Ohio Turnpike (OK, I don't really remember where it was, but I'm sure there were HoJo's along the turnpike) she got a bad clam or a bad batch of clams. Sadly, she never ate them again, having decided she was allergic or some such thing.
When I was at university, my roommates and I headed to the HoJo over toward Ypsilanti for the all-you-can-eat fried clams deal. Sadly, we could only pack away a couple plates-worth, as there was more breading than clam.
I still think of Mom every time I see fried clams - and on All Saints Day.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: