Friday, October 29, 2021

Oldsters? - 29 October 2021 - Plague Journal Day 596

Micah 6:8
Genesis 5:21-27  1 Timothy 5:1-2
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

On this date, 29 October 1998, John Glenn flew on the Space Shuttle Discovery, setting the record as the oldest person to fly in space - at the age of 77.
Just recently, William Shatner flew in space and set the new record at the age of 90.

However - John Glenn was born on 18 July 1921, while William Shatner was born on 22 March 1931. That means Glenn is nearly ten years older than Shatner. This makes me think I need to get a list of the birthdates of all the folks who've flown into space to see who the first-born (and thus, in a way, oldest) person is to have done so.

Regardless, I'm still younger than either of those two, so there's still hope for my getting to space before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I still might slip the surly bonds of Earth and dance to space on a tower of flame.

On a totally unrelated note, today is World Psoriasis Day. (Does anyone else remember "the heart-break of psoriasis?") Perhaps providentially, today is also National Oatmeal Day. I suggest those among my readers who are stricken with that particular heart-break might want to fill a tub with oatmeal and soak away some of the discomfort.

Enjoy!

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: