Friday, July 02, 2021

There's A Beautiful Field - 02 July 2021 - Plague Journal Day 477

Micah 6:8
Psalm 119:175-176
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

02 July 1937 was the last time American aviator Amelia Earhart and her navigator Fred Noonan contacted anyone. They were attempting to make the first around-the-world flight - apparently they either didn't make it, or they're going for the record of the longest time to circumnavigate the globe. Neither of them, nor their plane has ever been found. That has led many to claim she was either abducted by aliens, eaten by cannibals, or just quit and retired to a tropical island. I'm more inclined to think they crashed somewhere and will never be found.


Every time I hear of or think of this story, it takes me back to a visit I made to my sister back in our university days. She was attending Michigan State University, and we ended up at a bar called Coral Gables in the area to hear an all-woman string band called the Bosom Buddies. That was the first time I heard the song made famous by the Country Gentlemen, Amelia Earhart's Last Flight. There were other memorable songs, and they were quite good, really, but that one has stuck with me to this day.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.



No comments: