Friday, May 28, 2021

Way Up North - 28 May 2021 - Plague Journal Day 442

Micah 6:8
Psalm 89:11-13
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

I was listening to CBC Music this morning as they played a piece titled "Aurora Borealis" and it put me in mind of our trip to Alaska several years ago. We were visiting Christian who was in the Army, based at Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks.

One of the places we visited (it turned out that we visited many places in the Fairbanks area that he never had!) was the Museum of the North on the campus of the University of Alaska at Fairbanks.
What an amazing place that was. Lots of artifacts and samples of the native plants and animals, but they had a room that played music based on what was going on around the world at the time. Lightning, earthquakes, solar wind, cosmic rays, all kinds of things like that were detected and translated into sound.

It also reminded me of the novel "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson. I looked it up to make sure that really was the right book, and it appears that I need to read it again - I only remember bits and pieces of what really undergirds that whole story. One more on the "to read" pile!


Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: