Saturday, February 27, 2021

For Such Times as These - 27 February 2021 - Plague Journal Day 352

Micah 6:8
Esther 4:13-14
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

In keeping with the Purim theme we've had a couple days this week, I thought I'd share my poem based on the book of Esther.

For Such Times as These

We're in God's hands -
He puts us where we are,
 puts us where He will,
For such times as these.

Banquet or Debauch?
No mindful celebration,
 but thoughtless revelry
The Queen: insulted, then removed.

Ahaserus – Ruler or Ruled?
the king's decrees cannot be changed!
 he issues them on any advice.
He rules as others advise, not as God would have it.

The king will have his choice:
A contest! A pageant of beauties!
 a harem, truth be told.
Queen Esther now, thanks to Mordecai.

Ahaserus – again misled
A people among his people would not worship?!
 (keeping their own God alone)
Once more decrees, not thought taken, destruction is their lot.

The queen is in God’s hands –
Providence placed her where she is –
 now to fast and pray,
to die or not in such a time as this.

Esther prepares a feast, Haman a gallows.
Ahaserus lies awake “Read to me!,”
 hears of Mordecai’s service
“Mordecai saved my life; I shall honor him.”

The queen hosts two feasts for the king and Haman.
Ahaserus – impetuous – offers half the world:
 “Just don’t kill me, my king.”
Haman rides his own gallows; the Jews are saved.

We are in God's hands -
He puts us where we are,
 puts us where He wills,
For such times as these.

Charlie van Becelaere
copyright 2020

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.



No comments: