Saturday, September 26, 2020

26 September 2020 - Plague Journal Day 197

Micah 6:8

Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

No doubt many of you have made or are planning to make at trip to one of our many Cider Mills here in Michigan. The pandemic has reduced some of them to curbside delivery of donuts (doughnuts?) and cider to your car, but there are some where one can still actually see the orchards where the apples grew that were used to make that delicious cider. We can be thankful for that, no?
And where might that thanks best be directed? Well first to God who created and sustains this wonderful world in which we live; but on a more Earthly level, we ought to thank John Chapman. You might know him better as Johnny Appleseed, and today is Johnny Appleseed Day.
Should you wish to do something special to celebrate, why not make a quick trip down I-69 to Fort Wayne, Indiana? There you will find his gravesite


For another kind of celebration altogether, we note that today is the European Day Of Languages. As a self-proclaimed soi-disant and multi-lingual polyglot myself, I plan to celebrate this day by muttering to myself in all the European languages I can muster. Currently I have at least a few words in the following (pretty much in order of the number of words): English, French, Russian, Icelandic, Dutch, German, Latin, and Finnish. I'm happy to admit I know very little of the last few of those, and that I know words from other languages as well (Spanish and Italian, for example) but largely from menus, but that seems like a reasonable list. So, enjoy the day in whatever tongue you choose!

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: