Tuesday, June 16, 2020

16 June 2020 - Plague Journal Day 96

Micah 6:8
1 Corinthians 13:12

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

As one of my friends has said, it's easy to hate when hate is in your heart. I think he's right.
It's also easier to hate when you're hating "them," not a specific person whom you know, "them." If we put a name to a person, if we see him or her as an individual, not as just part of a group, suddenly they're human, they're real, and we can't hate as easily.
Here's a piece I wrote a long time ago about putting a face to the name:

Have you ever seen a picture of a radio personality and discovered that he really doesn’t “look like his voice” – or at least not the way you’d imagined him? I know I have.

In the same vein, I remember a coworker I had in our New York office. I had worked with her for a few years, always by phone, before she had any reason to visit Detroit. When she did, I was surprised to find that she didn’t look the way I expected at all.

Despite those surprises, I always find it’s helpful to put a face with a name, or with a voice. When I can picture the person on the other end of the phone call – or at the keyboard sending email – I have a much easier time dealing with him as a person, rather than as a job title or a resource.

I think that’s one of the great things God did in sending Jesus to us.

Before that, we had the writings of Moses and David and the prophets. They had heard God’s voice, somehow, and they told us what He said, and what He was like.

Then, suddenly, right there among us, was Jesus – God in human form. At last we could put a face to the Name, we knew Who it was when we heard His voice.

I know we don’t have a photograph of Jesus – we don’t know exactly what he looked like (pace Rembrandt’s exhibit at the DIA), but we do know enough:
We know He looked like us, we know we were created to look like Him, and we know that one day we’ll see Him face to face.

What Joy!

Thought for the Day:
May the Lord bless you and keep you;
May the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you;
May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace. Amen

Yes, He looked like us. We look like Him. All of us. Don't forget that.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

Update:
I had forgotten that today is Bloomsday.  If you're not in Ireland for the celebration (and nearly all of us are not in Ireland), then your best bet is to pull out your copy of Ulysses and read it today. It only covers about 24 hours, so give it a go!

No comments: